History reveals that liquorice was first documented in Assyrial clay tablets (c.a. 2500 B.C.E.) and Egyptian papyri. In Germany, liquorice root is licensed as standard medicinal tea for the relief of bronchial cough due to congestion in the upper respiratory tract. The main active substance is glycyrrhizinic acid, which has shown to accelerate the healing of gastric ulcers. The root naturally contains at least 4% glycyrrhizin, a compound that is about fifty times sweeter than sucrose.
I have included liquorice root in my herbal teabag range because it is a valuable alternative for the natural relief of mouth, gastric and intestinal ulcers. As a tea it makes an excellent adults-only herbal remedy for the relief of pain and discomfort of cramp-like disorders associated with chronic gastritis.
Take to relieve cough symptoms due to bronchial congestion and catarrh in the upper respiratory tract, pain/discomfort of cramp-like disorders associated with chronic gastritis. Clinically, liquorice has been shown to promote the healing and relief of symptoms of mouth, gastric and intestinal ulcers. Claims are based on traditional use in western herbal medicine.
Infuse one or two teabags with one cup of boiling water, steep and cover for fifteen minutes.
Adults only: drink one cup three times daily.
Gargle several times daily for the relief of mouth ulcers (1-3 days).
Use only as directed.
If symptoms persist, consult your healthcare practitioner.
Medical advice is recommended if used for longer than 4-6 weeks, during pregnancy and lactation.
Contraindications: this product should not be taken if you have cholestatic liver disorder, liver cirrhosis, high blood pressure, fluid retention, potassium deficiency, hypokalaemia and kidney insufficiency.
No restriction unless taking other medications.
Can deplete potassium levels over an extended period of time – ensure potassium-rich diet e.g. bananas and dried apricots.
May cause electrolyte disturbances, especially hypokalaemia, with increased risk with loop and thiazide (potassium-depleting) diuretics.
Each teabag contains Liquorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra) root and stolon dry 2 g (2000 mg).
Features / Benefits
- Suitable for vegans and vegetarians.
- First professional, medicinal teabag range in Australia.
- Guaranteed amount of active ingredients in each bag.
- Therapeutically-effective formulas with a long history of use.
- Packed in long-life foil bags to retain freshness and potency.
- Teabag paper is whitened using environmentally-friendly methods (ie no bleaching chemicals).
- Free from preservatives, artificial colours, caffeine, yeast, gluten, sugars, alcohol and lactose.
- Manufactured to strict pharmaceutical standards and listed with the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA).